23 Nov A Healthy Diet in pregnancy
Pregnancy is a very exciting time both for the mom to be and for the family. Along with the happiness of the new arrival in the family many people feel anxious about what is good or bad for them or their baby’s health. It is very important to eat a balanced diet in pregnancy. Our appetite may be increased but it is advisable to keep a check on your weight gain as it increases the risks later in the pregnancy.
According to the experts at Triveni Obs and Gynae Clinic Dr Manavita Mahajan (gynaecologist in Gurgaon), expectant mothers should aim to do the following:
- Meals should be based on starchy foods like chapattis, cereals, porridge rice, brown bread etc.
- Make sure you eat a low fat diet and keep a control on calorie intake.
- Eat lots of fibre by eating wholegrain bread, fruits and vegetables.
- Also, include some protein food in your diet that includes chicken, pulses, processed soy products, nuts, seeds, beans and meat.
- Have a diet rich in iron, calcium and folic acid. A baby needs all of these to grow. Include lots and lots of cheese, milk, yogurt, green vegetables, fortified cereals and red meat in your diet.
- Watch the portion size and keep a check on how often you eat.
- Do not skip your breakfast.
- Avoid eating food that has a lot of vitamin A in them.
- Avoid under cooked meats and eggs. Also, a big no to raw shellfish, raw fish and unpasteurized milk.
- Limit your caffeine intake to no more than 300 mg per day as these increases the chances of miscarriage.
- Food such as meat, pork, or poultry should be cooked to a safe internal temperature.
Pregnancy is a time of growth of a fetal to a great extent. It is necessary to know the adequate intake of micro and macro nutrients during pregnancy. Therefore, it is vital to assess, supervise, and, when suitable, make changes to improve maternal nutrition both before and during pregnancy. Finding a balance between eating healthy foods and staying at a healthy weight is important for your health as well as your baby’s health. So, follow the above-mentioned tips and be safe and healthy. In case you have any questions you can schedule an appointment at the Triveni Obs and Gynae Clinic/Dr Manavita Mahajan at Galleria DLF phase 4 Gurgaon. We have solution to all your problems.